Housing Choice Voucher Program
About Housing Choice Vouchers with Boulder Housing Partners
What is a Housing Choice Voucher?
Housing Choice Vouchers (HCV), formerly known as Section 8, help cover the cost of monthly rent for members of our community whose incomes are below the area average. After qualifying, participants in the HCV program pay approximately 30-40% of their monthly income toward rent. The remaining balance is paid directly to the owner of a participant’s rental home by Boulder Housing Partners (BHP).
Where can vouchers be used?
Housing Choice Vouchers may be used throughout Boulder County in privately-owned apartments, townhomes or houses that are qualified and have opted to accept vouchers. HCV participants find the home they would like to rent, then coordinate the next steps with the homeowner and BHP. All of BHP’s communities in the Boulder Affordable Rentals program do accept vouchers.
Am I Eligible?
To be eligible, applicants may earn up to 50% of the Area Median Income with no minimum income necessary. (See maximum income limits chart.)
According to program guidelines, Boulder Housing Partners prioritizes assistance to local applicants who are:
- Living in Boulder County
- Households with an adult who works at least 20 hours per week within Boulder County
- Households with an adult who attends school full-time within Boulder County
- Households with an adult child or parent who resides in Boulder County (In this instance, either the applicant family must be, or the immediate family member living in Boulder County must be, a senior over the age of 62 or a person with a disability.)
AND who are one or more of the following
- Seniors (age 62+)
- Individuals with disabilities
- Households with children
- Homeless and currently receiving services in Boulder County
There are a limited number of Housing Choice Vouchers available. If an applicant does not fall into one the above groups, the chances of receiving a voucher are limited.
A lottery system is used for applicants to become HCV participants. Beginning in 2020, the lottery will open online three times a year in the months of February, June, and October (every 4 months). The lottery will be open for two days during those months. Exact dates of the openings will be posted on our website and lottery hotline (720-564-4627) at least one month in advance. Our goal in opening the lottery on a regular basis is to allow for a quicker turn-around time to help community members as they plan for housing options.