What is a Housing Choice Voucher?
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) provides federal housing dollars to Boulder Housing Partners to pay a portion of rent for Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) participants. Participants pay approximately 30-40% of their monthly income towards rent, and Boulder Housing Partners pays the remaining balance directly to the rental owner. The word “voucher” refers to this ongoing payment agreement, and “Housing Choice” refers to the community member’s ability to find the home where they’d like to live within the community.
Where can vouchers be used?
Housing Choice Vouchers may be used in privately owned rentals throughout Boulder County such as apartment complexes, townhomes, or single-family homes. Rental owners are essential partners in the HCV program, providing the opportunity for older adults, people with disabilities, and families to find a home in our community. If you would like to partner as a rental owner, please visit our landlord hub to learn more.
Am I Eligible?
To be eligible, applicants may earn up to 50% of the Area Median Income with no minimum income necessary:
|Income May Not Exceed||$46,500||$53,150||$59,800||$66,400||$71,750||$77,050||$82,350||$87,650
According to program guidelines, Boulder Housing Partners prioritizes assistance to local applicants who are:
- Living in Boulder County
- Households with an adult who works at least 20 hours per week within Boulder County
- Households with an adult child or parent who resides in Boulder County (In this instance, either the applicant family must be, or the immediate family member living in Boulder County must be, a senior over the age of 62 or a person with a disability.)
- Homeless and currently receiving services in Boulder County
From this group, we then select those who are:
- Seniors (age 62+)
- Individuals with disabilities
- Households with children
There are a limited number of Housing Choice Vouchers available. If an applicant does not fall into one of the above groups, the chances of receiving a voucher are limited.
Additional Qualifying Criteria:
- At least one member of the household must be 18 years of age or older
- All applicants are required to pass a criminal background check