Housing Choice Voucher Program
The way to receive a Housing Choice Voucher is through our lottery program.
The last lottery was held Feb 28-March 1, 2023 and the next lottery has not been scheduled.
About Housing Choice Vouchers with Boulder Housing Partners
What is a Housing Choice Voucher?
Housing Choice Vouchers (HCV), formerly known as Section 8, help cover the cost of monthly rent for members of our community whose incomes are below the area average. After qualifying, participants in the HCV program pay approximately 30-40% of their monthly income toward rent. The remaining balance is paid directly to the owner of a participant’s rental home by Boulder Housing Partners (BHP).
Where can vouchers be used?
Housing Choice Vouchers may be used throughout Boulder County in privately-owned apartments, townhomes, or houses that are qualified and have opted to accept vouchers. HCV participants find the home they would like to rent, then coordinate the next steps with the homeowner and BHP. All of BHP’s communities in the Boulder Affordable Rentals program do accept vouchers.
Am I Eligible?
To be eligible, applicants may earn up to 50% of the Area Median Income with no minimum income necessary. (See maximum income limits chart.)
According to program guidelines, Boulder Housing Partners prioritizes assistance to local applicants who are:
- Living in Boulder County
- Households with an adult who works at least 20 hours per week within Boulder County
- Households with an adult child or parent who resides in Boulder County (In this instance, either the applicant family must be, or the immediate family member living in Boulder County must be, a senior over the age of 62 or a person with a disability.)
- Homeless and currently receiving services through an agency in Boulder County
AND who are one or more of the following
- Seniors (age 62+)
- Individuals with disabilities
- Households with children
There are a limited number of Housing Choice Vouchers available. If an applicant does not fall into one the above groups, the chances of receiving a voucher are limited.
When can I apply?
A lottery system is used for applicants to become HCV participants. Beginning in 2022, the Boulder Housing Partners Housing Choice Voucher lottery will be open two times each year. The exact dates of the openings will be posted on our website and lottery hotline (720-564-4627) at least one month in advance. The last lottery was held May 17-18, 2022 and the next lottery will be February 28 - March 1, 2023. Stay tuned for more information on how to sign up for the lottery in February.
Our goal in opening the lottery on a regular basis is to allow for a quicker turn-around time to help community members as they plan for housing options.
How do I reach the Housing Choice Voucher team?
Please be in touch! You can:
- Call: (720) 564-4630
- Email: [email protected]
- Send us a message: Fill out the form on the contact page.
- Schedule an Appointment: In-person meetings are offered by appointment only at our main office: 4800 N. Broadway. All appointments will follow COVID-19 safety procedures. Call or email us to schedule.
- Office Hours: The Housing Choice Voucher team is available for walk-in hours for participants and applicants every Wednesday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Housing Choice Program
2023 Housing Choice Program Administrative Plan (Admin Plan) PDF
Housing Choice Forms
Watch Video for Tenant-Based Voucher Participants
Watch Video for Home-Based Voucher Participants
Proposed changes to the Housing Choice Voucher Administrative Plan
BHP is releasing the proposed changes to our Administrative Plan for the Housing Choice Voucher Program. These changes are made available so the public can review and submit any comments. A public hearing will be held on Wednesday, January 11, from 5 – 6 p.m. at 4800 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80304. Attendance is not required. An overview of the changes will also be presented at the HCV Educational Session on January 25 (English session at 1 p.m. and 5 p.m.) and January 26 (Spanish session at 5 p.m.).
To see a summary of all the changes, please click here.
To see a red-lined version of the Administrative Plan showing all the changes, please click here.
Comments can be sent to Karen Brunnemer, MTW and Federal Policy Director, via:
- Email: [email protected],
- Fax: 303-302-1658,
- Mail: 4800 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80304,
- Phone: 720-564-4631
The proposed changes to the Administrative Plan will be adopted at the Boulder Housing Partners Board of Commissioners meeting on Wednesday, February 8, 2022.